Before four congressional flood-control witnesses withdrew their sworn statements, they were subjected to psychological manipulation, financial pressure, physical surveillance, and what appeared to be unlawful restriction of their movements — this was the account presented by Atty. Levito Baligod, legal counsel for the 14 witnesses who continue to uphold their original testimonies.
Baligod made the disclosure on Tuesday, August 18, 2026, following a meeting he attended at the Office of the Ombudsman, which had invited him to discuss the circumstances surrounding the four recantations and their potential bearing on the ongoing flood-control investigation.
Sustained Pressure Allegedly Directed at the Four Recanters
According to Baligod, the four witnesses — collectively referred to in media reports as the “maleta boys” — had been in the crosshairs of what he described as a deliberate and sustained campaign intended to erode their willingness to cooperate with investigators.
“Matagal na po kasi silang target of focused operations, psychological, financial, and, well, may mga threats,” Baligod told reporters after his meeting with the Ombudsman’s office.
He further disclosed that the four appeared to have been confined — or at minimum, unable to freely exit — the undisclosed location where they were reportedly being kept at the time. Baligod did not name the location, nor did he identify who may have been responsible for preventing their departure.
Surveillance Allegedly Conducted on Home of Witness Orbillo
Among the specific incidents Baligod described was an alleged surveillance operation targeting the residence of Rodante Orbillo, one of the 14 witnesses who has declined to recant. According to Baligod, a person who identified himself as a National Bureau of Investigation agent appeared at or near Orbillo’s home and demonstrated detailed knowledge of the property — including the presence of a river running along the back of the lot — suggesting that prior reconnaissance had already taken place.
Baligod was careful to qualify his account, however, noting that he could not independently confirm whether the individual was genuinely affiliated with the NBI.
Recanter Allegedly Called Remaining Witness Under Apparent Duress
Baligod also disclosed that Benny Bulontate — one of the four who signed a recantation — subsequently made a phone call to one of the witnesses still standing firm. As relayed by Baligod, Bulontate appeared visibly distressed during the call: pale in complexion and with visibly swollen eyes. Baligod said Bulontate appeared to be attempting to convince the other witness to follow his lead and withdraw his statement as well.
The lawyer said the overall circumstances of that call raised serious concerns about whether Bulontate himself had acted voluntarily in recanting, or whether he had been under some form of coercion or duress at the time.
Screenshots Allegedly Show Reference to ‘Temptation’
In an earlier disclosure, Baligod had shown reporters screenshots of mobile messages he attributed to one of the recanters. In those messages, the witness reportedly offered an apology to Baligod and mentioned the “temptation” he was facing — language that Baligod interpreted as a reference to a financial offer made in exchange for withdrawing his testimony.
Separately, witness George Villalon Jr. claimed that those who recanted were each offered between ₱20 million and ₱25 million to pull out of the case. Villalon himself said he was approached with a similar offer but chose to refuse.
Baligod was explicit, however, that none of the alleged financial transactions have been independently verified. No documented money trail has been made public connecting any named individual to the claimed payments, he noted.
Ombudsman Points at Romualdez Camp; Former Speaker Denies It
The recantations have intensified scrutiny of the figures at the center of the flood-control probe. Ombudsman Jesus Crispin “Boying” Remulla has publicly stated his view that the withdrawals were orchestrated by the camp of former House Speaker Martin Romualdez.
Romualdez, for his part, has categorically denied any role in the recantations.
The Ombudsman investigation revolves around allegations of plunder, graft, bribery, and money laundering in connection with an alleged ₱56-billion flood-control scheme. While the four recantations have introduced complications into the evidentiary record, they have not derailed the proceedings — the remaining 14 witnesses continue to stand by their original sworn accounts, according to Baligod.
By the Numbers
- 4 — witnesses who withdrew their sworn statements in the flood-control probe
- 14 — witnesses who have maintained their original testimony
- ₱20 million to ₱25 million — alleged per-witness payment offered to recant, as claimed by George Villalon Jr.
- ₱56 billion — total value of the flood-control scheme at the center of the Ombudsman investigation
Why This Matters
The flood-control case is among the most significant anti-corruption proceedings currently before the Office of the Ombudsman, involving accusations of plunder and graft linked to ₱56 billion in public funds. The alleged campaign to silence witnesses — encompassing threats, surveillance, apparent restriction of movement, and financial inducements reportedly reaching ₱25 million per person — represents a direct assault on the integrity of the state’s investigation. Should the accounts of Baligod and Villalon Jr. be substantiated, they would constitute a serious and coordinated effort to obstruct one of the country’s most consequential public corruption cases.
Source: Rappler






